Do you use a terrarium?

Friday, September 10, 2010

A note on water

First of don't over water. For my nepenthes in their specific soil composition (1 part peat moss, 1 part silica sand, 1 part perlite) I water once a week or as needed. I found they are most happy if I wait to water until the soil is JUST starting to feel dry to the touch. Do not  let the soil completely dry or even become mostly dry or you will have very unhappy plants. A few months ago I was in the process of moving and in the rush forgot my first two nepenthes (my only two at the time) and they didn't get water for three weeks!!!! As soon as I got back to them I watered them and they are finally looking pretty recovered. The N.miranda recovered almost instantly and is now thriving and just starting to produce new pitchers. The N.sanguinea started to put out a new leaf and then just stopped doing anything all together. I'm taking it as a good sign that it at least isn't visibly dieing...

Don't over water!!! nepenthes are highly susceptible to root rot. Nepenthes naturally live in aerated well draining soil and you should try to duplicate this as noted above. Growers have their own soil mixes but as long as the soil is low in nutrients, and provides proper drainage it should be ok (peat moss of some sort is a very common part of the mix, as is coconut fiber bark). I can't vouch for my soil mix because I just transplanted my first plants into the soil mixture and I won't be seeing any negative effects for a while yet if there will be in.

Water should not be hard! Most people advise using distilled water or rain water. However most beginner plants are pretty forgiving. I personally use my tap water but my local tap water is not hard at all (granted it is harder than rain water and distilled water...). Would my plants grow better if I didn't use tap water??? I can't tell as I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I should try it and see if they grow even better! But it isn't always needed with nepenthes as they can be pretty hardy, especially the beginner plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers